Sunday, November 7, 2010

Our rough week

It's been quite a week in our house! Daniel had soccer practice on Monday evening and, during the practice, complained that his tummy hurt. I thought it was just because he was running around so much after just eating dinner. But, by 3am on Tuesday morning, he was throwing up. And it continued for the next 56 hours! It was horrible! The poor little guy was so weak, he didn't move for three days. You've never seen Daniel so lethargic and mellow - he's usually such an energetic and happy guy. By Thursday morning, having been up 6 times the night before, I finally took him into the ER at Children's Hospital. Unfortunately, there wasn't much they could do for the vomitting and, luckily, he wasn't dehydrated. The doctor suggested giving him Pedialyte but Daniel didn't like the flavour (too salty) so we tried Gatorade. He tolerated that because it's what athletes drink! By Friday, he was feeling better but was so weak and gaunt. I'm sure he lost a few pounds - he looked so thin! By Saturday, he was pretty much back to his old self, arguing with his little brother and trying to sneak Halloween candy.


Meanwhile, Sarah came down with a fever on Tuesday. She stayed home with Leah and Daniel that day. Fortunately, the fever didn't last long, but she was just generally irritable for a few days. On Thursday, we noticed that her chin was really red and raw but assumed it was from all the drooling she's been doing, due to her molars coming in. Then, on Saturday evening, Adam burst into tears at the dinner table, complaining, "I not like to be tired!" He felt quite warm and fell asleep at 6:15pm. He then slept for the next 13 hours! We were afraid that he was coming down with what Daniel had. By morning, however, he was much better - except for the red sores all around his mouth. He was also limping around the house. When I asked what was wrong, he said, "I is a pirate. I have a peg leg." :) No peg leg, but he did have some sores on the bottom of his feet. It could only be Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. We're experts with this one, since both boys had it the week before Sarah was born and Daniel had it when he was about 18 months. Luckily, it seems that Adam and Sarah have relatively mild cases. Their appetite has been affected a bit and they've been a little more fussy but nothing too terrible.

But we're ready to be healthy! We've all been battling colds since school started and now this! I think we've paid our dues for a while. We don't want any more illnesses for a while, thank you!

For a less whiny, more upbeat post, continue reading below. It's sure to make you smile. :)

No comments: