Monday, January 31, 2011

A few updates

I didn't start the new year off very well, did I?  We've had a very busy January and that hasn't left me much time for the blog.  But I thought I'd post a few pictures of the kids and a few updates.  We don't even have that many pictures - we've been really busy but just with everyday stuff, not a lot of photo-worthy events.  :)

DANIEL:
  • Daniel is still really enjoying Kindergarten and is doing very well.  He's started choosing the art and writing centres, which is new for him, and means that he brings home lots of fun pictures and stories.  Now we just have to get him trying to write at the writing centre - he's still too nervous to try.  We scanned a few of his stories - I'll post them to the blog soon but they're on our desktop computer and I'm using the laptop right now.
  • He's loving soccer now and is no longer feeling timid.  He was a little scared to get out there and was really worried about what people would think of him.  Now he just gets out there and has a great time.  He's not the most aggressive player but he is always in the game and trying hard.  He's an awesome goalie - I have to say, I think he's the best goalie on the team. 
  • Daniel just started swimming lessons again at the beginning of January.  He loves the water!  He's now in the Crocodile level, which means there are more children in the class and they spend the entire lesson in the deeper water.  This level is a bit more of a challenge for him but he's doing well.  He has a little girlfriend, though, who isn't the greatest influence.  She's always trying to swim away and he tries to follow her, but he's not as strong a swimmer.  We've gotten on his case about listening to the teacher, though, and he's doing much better.  Now she keeps trying to pull him into the water and he just can't tread water well enough.  I guess we'll need to have a talk with his teacher next week to make sure Daniel's listening and his little friend isn't trying to get him into trouble!
ADAM:
  • Adam is loving "his school," which is what he calls Strong Start.  School seems to come pretty naturally to him.  He really loves doing art - drawing, painting, doodling.  He can doodle for hours!  His drawings are pretty cute and funny and his works very meticulously on them.  If it's not quite right, he crumples it up, throws it across the room and says, "That is NOT awesome!"  A true artist.  :)  He also loves to count and do his ABCs.  He prints his name and loves to copy out all the names of his family members.  He really likes getting on the computer and typing everyone's names, too.
  • Adam is also in swimming lessons this winter.  He is in the Sea Turtle level again - he didn't pass in December.  But he's made so much progress!  He used to cry when he went into the water with his teacher; he wouldn't let his face near the water.  Yesterday, however, he put his eyes, nose and mouth in the water!  What a huge improvement!  His teacher was really excited - I think Adam was pretty proud of himself, too.
We just signed both boys up for t-ball in April.  I think they'll both really enjoy it.  Adam is definitely a natural - he has a great arm.  I think Daniel will like that baseball isn't quite as aggressive a sport.  He really wanted to play lacrosse, because he's learning it at school and his best friend plays.  But he's just too nice for a sport like that.  :)  But I think t-ball will be keeping us very busy, since they won't be on the same team.  We'll see how it goes...

A few pictures of the boys.  They're really hard to take picture of these days so I only have pictures of them together, nothing individual.





SARAH:
  • Sarah is so fun these days!  She's got such a quirky personality, a really funny sense of humour and she's really mischevious.  But in such a cute way!  She loves to be silly and make people laugh.  You have to watch her pretty close - she can always be found climbing the stairs, standing on a table, getting into cupboards...  But then she flashes that smile and you have a hard time getting mad.  :)
  • She isn't saying too many words - mama, dada, momo (more).  But she's learned a few signs.  She can sign more, please, thank you and has almost got milk.  I think I saw her sign eat today.  It's so cute and she's really proud of herself when she can communicate with us.  And she has really good manners!
  • Sarah's such a cuddly little girl.  She loves to give hugs.  When you ask her for a kiss, she'll turn her cheek to you, as if to ask you to give her a kiss!  She never gives them out herself but she loves to ask for them.  Today, she was playing with a little boy at Daniel's soccer practice.  The boy came up and gave her a hug and she pointed to her cheek, asking him to kiss her!  She also has the cutest way of showing her excitement.  When I got home from my trip to Boston, she ran up, started stomping her feet, lifted her shirt and patted her belly!  That's quite the welcome!
A few cute Sarah pictures...



We've certainly been keeping ourselves busy.  Between school, work, soccer, swimming, orchestra, band and just everyday life, we've been on the go all month.  I took four days off to go to Boston to visit my friend, Lesley, and to meet her new son, Christopher (and, of course, hang out with his big sister, Mary).  It was quite the experience for me to travel by myself, only worry about myself.  I had a hotel room to myself for four days - it was quite relaxing!  I really did miss the kids (and James, too) and couldn't wait to be back to the craziness.  I appreciated the break and the chance to visit with with my friend of 30 years, but I don't know that I'll leave the family again anytime soon.  James did an awesome job as a single dad, but I don't think he'll want to do it again anytime soon either!

No comments: