Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween!

What a fun Halloween we had! We started the day by going to swimming lessons. Daniel had a great time, as usual, and Adam cried in the cold pool, as usual. But he had a really fun time in the warm pool. Next session, we've signed them up at the new Killarney Pool because lessons will be in the warm pool. Hopefully Adam enjoys it more!

We spent the afternoon getting the house ready for trick-or-treaters. We had already decorated outside but decided inside needed to look spooky, too. We all made these little foam pumpkins together and the boys stuck them on the stairs. They had a great time and I think it looked pretty cool!

Then it was time to get into costumes! Daniel and Adam were both really excited but Sarah was less than thrilled with Halloween. She was really tired and cranky and slept through the first half of the evening. But she happily helped answer the door and handed out candy the second half. Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures of her, but she looked exactly like she did the night before. :)

Here's Venom. Daniel was in love with his costume. He ran up to every house and acted the part of a scary bad guy. I think he liked surprising people who didn't know it was him behind the mask.
Here's our little train. I was thrilled that Adam kept the train on the entire time out trick-or-treating! He wore it up to every house, even climbing up stairs. But, the moment we came home, the train came off! Oh well. I'm just happy he wasn't going door-to-door dressed as a kid with a woo woo hat on!

James got dressed up, too. Or did he? Isn't he always a jester, joking around? :)
James took the boys out for the first half hour or so while Sarah and I stayed by the door and handed out candy. Then we switched and I got to watch the boys run up to all the doors. They had so much fun! They were very polite and remembered to say thank you and nana. :) I was so suprised that they weren't scared. We have a few houses in the neighbourhood that go all out with their spooky decorations and the dads answer the door all dressed up in gory costumes. Daniel thought it was cool and kept telling me it was "just pretend." Adam didn't cry but he did stare wide-eyed for a long time at the men in scary masks.
Finally, after about an hour, the boys decided they were done trick-or-treating. Then they helped hand out the candy. They had almost as much fun doing that as they did going out themselves. They'd each get upset if their brother was able to give someone candy so we started having to give two pieces to every trick-or-treater - one from Daniel and one from Adam! Many of the kids commented on how cute the baby pumpkin was. And we got a few confused kids who couldn't figure out why their teacher was answering the door (since I work and live in the same neighbourhood)! We finally turned off the lights at 8:30, after 211 kids came to the door. We were so lucky that the rain stayed away and everyone enjoyed the night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very relieved that no-one was frightened by the scary men answering the doors! But boy does "Venom" ever scare ME! Daniel's character is the perfect alter ego for our charming grandson! And that Adam is adorable in his "woo-woo" outfit, great choices for both boys!Sarah charmed me in her pumpkin suit and even matched the pumpkin staircase. Now for the parental contest to see who can secretly eat the most kid's candy...

Ándrea said...

I love Daniel's pose as a bad guy. Reminds me a lot of Jaxson. Too cute!