Thursday, June 5, 2008

Roots of Empathy



Adam has been a teaching baby in a kindergarten class all year as part of the Roots of Empathy program. He's visited his class every three weeks. The children loved having "Baby Adam" come visit and got to see him grow from a little two month old newborn to a crawling, smiling, happy ten month old. It's been a really neat experience.

Yesterday we were asked to come to the Roots media event. The local paper was there as well as different people involved in the program and in the school board. All the babies participating were supposed to be there (five in total) but only Adam and another baby, Jack, were there. So there might be a few pictures of Adam in the paper! (Maybe Daniel as well. I had to bring him and, although he was really well-behaved, he did manage to steal some of the attention away from the babies!)

Adam received a really cute t-shirt that says he is a "Roots of Empathy Teacher." It's something he can keep and wear for a long time. He got the smallest size, which was 18-24 months!

On Friday, Adam will have his final visit with his kindergarten class. I have heard that the children are saying it will be a very sad day, because it's the last day they can see Baby Adam. I'm sure we'll see lots of the kids this summer at the water park, so I don't think they have anything to worry about!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There aren't many babies who can say they were teaching before their first birthday - maybe Adam will be following in your foot-steps, Leah! He sure looks cute in that T-shirt and I hope you will save us a copy of the newspaper article if Adam becomes a "media darling". Have a great trip to Boston, you two and I hope the two "D"'s won't miss you toooo much.