Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Olympic Adventures - Robson Square and the Olympic Flame

The weather has been absolutely gorgeous the past week or so and I'm so glad we've been able to catch many of the Olympic celebrations around town. But we hadn't been to see the flame yet. So I decided to brave the downtown crowds and we took the Skytrain down to the centre of all the Olympic action.

When we got off the Skytrain at Waterfront Station, who did we see but Quatchi, Daniel's favourite Olympic mascot. Unfortunately, Adam's favourite (Sumi) wasn't there. (This is a great picture that shows what a goofball Adam is, too!)




We weren't really sure where to go to find the flame but I figured our best bet would be to follow the crowds! So we walked and walked and walked until we finally saw the flame in the distance. There is a viewing platform where you can get a better look at it. I asked one of the blue-clad 2010 volunteers about it and she said that I wouldn't be able to bring the stroller and that the line would probably take about an hour and a half. I decided that seeing it from afar was a much better idea! The boys were very impressed, though. I think it was the first time they really felt they were doing something Olympic-related, since they had seen it on TV. They didn't care if we didn't get too close and had to see it through a chainlink fence. Sarah didn't care about it at all. :)


We were starving after that, so we found a bench in the sunshine to have our lunch. It was beautiful out but not all that warm. Then I figured we should check out what was going on on Robson Street, the centre of all the Olympic action. The first thing we saw was the zip line and the people flying across Robson Street. The boys thought it was the coolest thing and we had to watch for at least 20 minutes as people flew through the sky. Daniel really wanted to do it (hey, if he can ride Space Mountain 7 times, a zipline is nothing!). But, when I told him it was just for adults and that he'd have to wait in line for 6 hours (from lunchtime to dinnertime), he changed his mind pretty quick.


We went to Robson Square, saw some native dancers and attempted to see the mascots doing an ice show. Unfortunately, it looked like people had been there for at least an hour before the show started and there wasn't a single space for us to stand and watch the show. We saw the top of Sumi's head once - that was about it!

By this time, we were pretty tired, so we started to head back to the Skytrain. Along Granville Street, there were lots of public pieces of art. Everyone was standing in these sports-related cutouts so, of course, the boys had to, too. I thought they looked pretty cute!

We've been having a great time checking out all the exciting things happening but I have to admit that I'm kind of looking forward to some quiet time at home, too! But first we need to take James to experience the Olympic atmosphere downtown on Friday before he and I head to the women's gold medal curling.

No comments: